I know there are some of you who either read my blog or have attended one of my speaking events who think, “I could speak like she does!”
I want to affirm you. That’s absolutely true.
If you’re looking for some first steps into a speaking ministry, this page is for you.
Steps to Success
Here are some steps I’d consider as you begin to grow in your calling to speak:
- Listen to great communicators. I love to listen to podcasts of speakers I admire. It gets my creative juices going, and I listen for what makes them effective. Some of my favorites are Lysa TerKeurst, Andy Stanley and Louie Giglio. Many podcasts can be found FREE on iTunes.
- Critique messages. Listen for what makes a message great and what weakens a message. TED Talks are short, fun and plentiful, so they’re a terrific source of messages to critique.
- Read, read, read. There are some truly wonderful books out there on captivating communication. I’ve listed some of my favorites in the suggested reading below.
- Subscribe to the Next Step Coaching Services newsletter. For over twelve years, I’ve been coaching other Christian women called to speak through Next Step Coaching Services. There are FREE weekly speaker tips on our blogs on topics ranging from message development to getting the word out about your speaking ministry.
- Attend a conference. I’m so proud to get to be a part of the Proverbs 31 Ministries’ summer conference for speakers, She Speaks. It’s an incredible conference and well worth the investment in your ministry.
- Work with a coach. I love to speak, but I love coaching other speakers even more! Take a look at the coaching services with Next Step Coaching Services and prayerfully consider filling out the “Request a Consultation” form. I’d love to do a FREE conference call with you to answer your questions about my coaching.